What is the Best Shampoo for Growing Hair?
September 02, 2019If you're struggling with hair loss, you have thought about many different hair loss solutions, and finding a hair growth shampoo to solve your problem has certainly crossed your mind. And actually, while no shampoo can permanently fix hair loss, your idea is not all wrong! Hair loss shampoo may well be one of the most effective ways of treating hair loss when used in the right way. However, finding a hair loss shampoo that really works for you might not be an easy task. Luckily, we're here to help you figure it out. We'll explain how the best hair loss shampoos work and what they contain.
The Best Ingredients in Hair Loss ShampooHair loss shampoo is obviously not only intended to clean but also to encourage growth and regrowth, which is why they contain a series of ingredients that have been proven to help with this. You will find tons of shampoos that claim to prompt hair growth, but not all of them work. Sometimes if they don't work, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad, it might be that their formula doesn't suit you best. Here are the ingredients you should look for in your hair growth shampoo:
B7 or biotin is an essential vitamin for several body processes such as amino acid synthesis, skin cell growth, and follicle health. Biotin is known to strengthen the hair and the nails, so look out for it in the ingredient list of your hair growth shampoo. Apart from your hair products, you should consider taking a biotin supplement (there are plenty on the market) or including biotin-rich foods in your diet, like bananas, eggs, chard and other leafy greens, cauliflower, mushrooms, among others.
You may have heard of this ingredient for dandruff cases, but it also works great for hair growth. Ketoconazole has antifungal properties, so it controls Malassezia, a naturally occurring fungus from the scalp which causes dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis when it goes out of control. However, research has shown that 2% ketoconazole shampoo also improved hair density and size , apart from helping follicles stay in the anagen (growth) phase for longer.
Studies showed that the most effective use of 2% ketoconazole shampoo was one every two to four days and leaving the shampoo on the scalp for three to five minutes after it has been applied.
This plant is also used as a supplement to treat an enlarged prostate and decreased libido in men. Its influence on hair growth consists in the fact that it decreases levels of 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme that transforms testosterone into DHT (the byproduct that causes hypersensitivity in some individuals, giving way to alopecia). A study showed that saw palmetto increased total hair count in nearly half of the subjects.
Saw palmetto is a wonderful addition to the formula of a hair growth shampoo, but you can potentiate its effects by adding it as a supplement. Many herbal laboratories produce these supplements and a doctor can prescribe them in the correct dosage for hair growth stimulation.
It has been proven that caffeine can help with follicle miniaturization, the process in which the hair follicle becomes smaller and weaker until it stops producing hair altogether. Topical application of caffeine had several positive effects on hair growth: stimulated the growth of keratin cells, lengthened the hair shaft, and promoted a longer anagen phase. Caffeine has a great advantage: it doesn't create resistance, so its efficiency will stay the same for as long as you continue with the treatment.
Coffee or caffeinated drinks do not have the same effect on hair growth because in this way caffeine cannot be absorbed by the hair follicles; the body dilutes and excretes it easily.
This protein is the main building block of hair. Its chemical composition is very strong, so keratin-enriched shampoos have the potential to repair your hair. While it's true that keratin does not encourage growth by itself, it does strengthen the hair by filling in the spaces where the hair shaft has lost protein. If you suffer from hair loss and your hair has also been exposed to chemical or mechanical damage, shampoo with keratin might add thickness and body, and overall improve the appearance of hair. If the shampoo includes other ingredients such as vitamins, the effect will be even better. Think of keratin-enriched shampoos, like multi-vitamin shampoo for dry hair or oily hair shampoo with natural extracts.
How to Use Hair Growth Shampoo ProperlyWhen you use a shampoo as part of a hair loss treatment it's not enough to just lather and rinse. the ingredients in the formula have been carefully chosen to be in the adequate concentration to work properly, and they are meant to reach the follicle via the scalp. This means that any hair growth shampoo needs a special application. Follow these recommendations:
- Wet hair thoroughly before you apply the shampoo. This will help get a better lather.
- Massage for a while, at least 5 minutes. Use your fingertips and circular motions, not your fingernails. This is an important part of application since massaging can improve circulation, which in turn stimulates the follicle.
- Leave the lather on for a few minutes before rinsing. This is probably the most important part of shampooing for hair growth since it'll allow the ingredients of the formula to penetrate the scalp and reach the hair follicle.
- Use hair growth shampoo three to four times a week. Most formulas are thought for frequent use, so they won't damage hair.
- Do not wait until you notice too much hair loss to start using a hair loss shampoo. As soon as you notice the first signs, you can start treatment to delay hair loss.
- You can include conditioner for hair loss in your washing routine, according to your hair type. This will enhance the manageability of your hair and provide extra hair loss care.
- Try different shampoos with ingredients from the list we mentioned above until you find the one that gives you best results, but once you are satisfied with them, stick to the same product. Another important thing to keep in mind when you choose a hair loss shampoo is that they're gentle on your hair, so stick to a sulfate-free formula. Consistency is essential when you are following a hair loss shampoo treatment.
- Don't only rely on shampoo and conditioner for hair loss. Since you notice the first signs of hair loss you should consult your physician and get checked for predisposing conditions such as heredity, autoimmune illness, skin problems, hormonal imbalances or nutritional deficiencies.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to hair solutions? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @TheCosmeticRepublicUSA, Twitter @TheCosmeticrUSA and Instagram @TheCosmeticRepublicUSA