Seasonal Hair Loss: Myth or Reality?
October 19, 2018There are many possible reasons for hair loss and many different patterns for hair loss as well. many people notice that they start losing more hair during certain seasons and wonder if they are crazy or it's true!
Well, the truth is that seasonal hair loss has been studied and has been observed to be a pattern. The reason for this type of hair loss is still under research, but it is thought to be related to the natural hair growth cycle and its relationship to different seasons. Read on to find out how these two things work together and possibly affect each other. Plus, learn some tips to control it, including some recommendations on hair loss products.
Hair Growth Cycle and Seasonal Hair LossHair growth goes through three stages: anagen (growing), catagen (resting), and telogen (shedding). Naturally, hair seems to go into telogen phase more often during the late summer, which prompts shedding around 30-40 days later, once into the fall. From an evolutionary point of view, this can be explained by the fact that you would need less hair to keep warm during the summer months.
A study that was published in the British Journal of Dermatology concluded that there is indeed a relationship between the seasons and hair shedding. The group of researchers analyzed research data from Google searches for the keywords "hair loss" and found that the peak was summer and the beginning of fall, whereas the lowest point was spring. Coincidentally, the rate of telogen (shedding) hairs was found to be highest in the summer (August and September) and the lowest in the winter, which ratifies the theory that the seasons have a relationship to hair shedding patterns, so seasonal hair loss is a thing! If you are wondering what the season for highest hair growth rate is, the study found that it is during the beginning of spring.
The findings of this study can give some patients a clearer idea of the reasons behind their hair loss, therefore, clearing up doubts and worry. Patients will be able to choose their treatment accordingly.
Is There a Solution to Seasonal Hair Loss?If you have observed you have a pattern of seasonal hair loss, you can apply a few treatments to counter it. you cannot stop or prevent seasonal hair loss since it can be a personal predisposition, but you can use some treatments and care tips that will help diminish the hair loss you will experience.
- Keep your hair hydrated. Regardless of the time of year and your shedding pattern, your hair needs constant moisturization. Even oily hair needs regular care with specially formulated masks or treatments. lack of hydration will weaken your hair and deteriorate its appearance, so make sure you have a moisturization routine.
- Limit heat styling. If seasonal shedding is a thing for you, make sure you use heat styling very scarcely, especially as the summer approaches. You don't need the protein deterioration and over-dryness that heat tools generate, especially because these are added to sun exposure and possibly also chlorine exposure.
- Take supplements. When your shedding season approaches, start taking hair supplements. These usually contain vitamin B, biotin, panthenol. Zinc, iron, and other vitamins and minerals that encourage hair growth and strengthening.
- Always observe your shedding patterns. If you suspect that you shed more hair in certain seasons, it is a good idea for you to always keep an eye on your hair. observe how it behaves on a regular basis, with different products or treatments. Check often to see if your hair feels thinner (you'll know if the density of your ponytail changes or your parting gets wider). Breakage and split ends are another problem you need to keep an eye for, regardless of seasonal hair loss patterns.
- Use topical solutions for hair loss during shedding time. If your doctor approves, minoxidil (2% if you're a woman; 5% if you're a man) can help make your hair appear thicker during the shedding time. Make sure you use this solution under medical supervision.
- Use keratin fibers. Keratin fibers stick to hair thanks to covalent bonding, giving each strand a thicker appearance and covering bald spots. These fibers are easy to use and improve the appearance of thinning hair immediately. You can choose among several different colors and even mix them to match your hair color.
When it comes to fighting hair loss, The Cosmetic Republic USA has a wide range of professional hair care solutions. From shampoo and conditioner to special treatments, you can get our products for stronger, thicker hair. You can get our high-quality products for your salon! Just give us a call at TOLL FREE 1-888-513-8815 or fill out the contact form on this website to get in touch with one of our representatives; we will be glad to help you. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news on hair care right to your inbox.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to hair solutions? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @TheCosmeticRepublicUSA, Twitter @TheCosmeticrUSA and Instagram @TheCosmeticRepublicUSA