Facial Hair Growth Tips for Men
November 07, 2019Men are usually simple when it comes to defining their looks and "complement" their appearance, and facial hair is one of the most important features guys can take advantage of. A beard includes hair above the upper lip, the chin, the cheeks, the sideburns, and the neck, and some men grow some parts and others not at all, but many men crave a big, full beard.
Historically, beards have provided presence and an impression of manliness, wisdom, and even authority, while also conveying a rugged, rebel vibe. The hardest part of the journey toward an awesome beard for any man, regardless of the thickness and growth of his facial hair, is actually growing it to the desired shape and length. Growing your beard will take a set of skills – like patience and perseverance – and tools you may not have used before, like brushes, beard oils, and even a hair loss treatment for men, which could actually give you a little push.
We'll walk you through the best facial hair growth tips to facilitate your journey to the wonderful beard you want.
Male Facial Hair 101Here are a few facial hair facts to get acquainted with the matter.
Facial hair growth is driven by hormones.
The first thing you should know is that your facial hair is a type of androgenic hair. In other words, its growth is driven by hormones, in this case, androgens or male sex hormones, namely testosterone and DHT (dihydrotestosterone). The latter is a more powerful byproduct of testosterone, and it determines your beard's density. The more sensitive your body is to DHT, the earlier your facial hair will tend to grow and the denser your beard will tend to be. Unfortunately, men with higher DHT sensitivity are also more prone to head alopecia.
Facial hair growth is a tad bit faster than scalp hair growth.
Male facial hair (like the rest of body hair) grows an average of one-half inch per month. This rate is faster than that of head hair. Also, facial hair goes through the different growth stages: anagen (active growth), catagen (resting), and telogen (shedding). Some men might grow it faster, depending on their genetics.
Facial hair can protect your skin.
According to a study from The University of Southern Queensland, facial hair is able to block around 95% of UV radiation which is known to cause aging and sun damage. One more reason to keep your beard; you'll be taking care of your skin at the same time. Also, they protect the skin from bacteria – but keep in mind that they can also trap bacteria, that's why they need to be cleaned periodically.
Your hair diameter and color affect the appearance of your facial hair growth.
Heredity determines the diameter of your hair follicles, the maximum length, texture, wave and patterns in your facial hair growth. It was believed that the mother's genes were responsible for the way facial hair grows, but it was found that both parents' genetic information is relevant to this trait.
Best Tips to Grow Your Beard
1. Be patientStop the expectations and the urgency to get the full beard you want in the blink of an eye. The journey to a full beard starts with the challenge of not shaving at all for a full month, which can be foreign to you and cause discomfort (it looks uneven, it itches, any many people might think it looks unkempt). You'll have to stick to the long-term goal or else you'll be quitting quite soon.
2. Adopt a skincare routineMaybe you think you don't need skincare at all, but you actually do! A simple 3-step routine is more than enough for healthy skin. First, clean your face; next, exfoliate three times a week, and always wrap up with a moisturizer. A steady skincare routine stimulates circulation, removes dead skin cells, keeps pores clean and avoids pimples. Don't forget to add a good sunscreen to your routine, and a localized gel/cream for pimples if you tend to have breakouts.
3. Work outAs we mentioned before, beard growth is related to testosterone and DHT. Exercise (especially resistance training) plus a quality diet can stimulate the production of testosterone, which in turn will promote healthy hair growth. You can also count on several other important effects of exercise, like better circulation and overall better health.
4. Manage your stress levelsCortisol, the hormone your body releases when it's under a lot of stress, has a negative impact on testosterone levels in your body – and you guessed it, your hair growth. Your hair growth cycles can get altered and delay or produce finer, sparser hair, especially in men who are prone to baldness. Prolonged stress can trigger a faster onset of hair loss in predisposed men. Sleep deprivation may be another stress-related problem that can make it harder for your beard to grow well. Less sleep means less testosterone production.
5. Keep a healthy diet and use supplementsCertain foods help keep healthy hair follicles and strong hair growth. Look out for leafy green vegetables, nuts, protein (poultry, fish, beef, eggs, and some beans), and don't forget to consult your physician about the use of supplements. Supplements give your body an extra boost of minerals and vitamins that accelerate hair growth. The most common ingredients you mean are copper, magnesium, zinc, iron, and vitamins like B, D, and E.
6. Use beard grooming products and toolsBeard grooming is a lot easier when you have the correct products and tools. Start off with good beard oil or balm, a beard brush or comb, and a pair of scissors. Here's more about each:
Get a brush with boar bristles, which reach every level of the beard and distribute your natural oils (or beard oil/balm) effectively. Besides, brushing frequently will keep your beard clean from dust and debris. Another great advantage you get from brushing is 'training' your hair to grow in a particular direction.
Combs will detangle and style longer beards or facilitate trimming beards of any length. Longer, curlier beards will need wider-toothed combs.
7. Shampoo and condition your beardJust soap is not a good idea when it comes to washing your beard. You can get a special beard wash and conditioner, or if you are in a hurry, a couple of drops of sulfate-free shampoo will do the trick. Why sulfate-free? Because they have a much milder formula.
As you can see, these facial hair growth tips are not complicated to follow and will make a great difference when it comes to growing a superb beard. Always use professional products to take care of your beard, and don't forget your hair! The Cosmetic Republic USA has exclusive formulas that stimulate growth, strength, and health in your hair. Call TOLL FREE 1-888-513-8815 or fill out the contact form on this site. Also, subscribe to the newsletter to get our news right in your inbox.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to hair solutions? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @TheCosmeticRepublicUSA, Twitter @TheCosmeticrUSA and Instagram @TheCosmeticRepublicUSA